- 1 medium head green cabbage, about 2 pounds
- 1 yellow onion, sliced lengthwise
- 1 large carrot, peeled and sliced into rounds
- ¼ cup chicken stock, or vegetable broth
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
Preheat the oven to 375°F. Remove any bruised outer leaves from that cabbage. Cut it into 8 wedges and trim off most of the core, leaving just enough to hold each wedge intact. Arrange the wedges in a 9 x 13 baking dish, overlapping slightly if needed to fit. Sprinkle onion and carrot over the cabbage, and pour the stock and oil over. Season with salt, pepper and red peper flakes. Cover the dish tightly with foil and bake for 1 hour, until tender. If desired, remove foil and bake additional 10 minutes to lightly brown the vegetables. Serves 4-6.